Senior Human Resources Business Partner
This job is no longer accepting applications.
Senior Human Resources Business Partner
We come from humble beginnings — picture a one-person organization created in 1949 to advocate for excellence in public education on behalf of Texas school board members. Flash forward to today, and we have over 500 employees working together to provide 1,024 school districts with purposeful resources so they can focus on what matters most — excellent and equitable education for all 5.4 million Texas students. At TASB, the motto has always been “expert help from friendly people,” which makes it easy to see how we’ve maintained 100% membership across all Texas school boards for 32 years and counting. We combine a strong sense of tradition with innovation, and our mission — educational excellence for all Texas schoolchildren through advocacy, visionary leadership, and high-quality services to school districts — has played out in transformative ways.
Why Texas Association of School Boards (TASB)
As TASBeans (our internal name for employees), we feel privileged to work alongside talented team-members who are passionate about education and enjoy learning from new and different perspectives. We believe what makes our organization highly successful is the rich diversity our employees collectively bring to TASB with different backgrounds, skillsets, cultures and ethnicities, gender identities, interests, abilities, and work styles. And our passion for education and learning doesn’t end there. Our culture has always encouraged employees to grow and become their best selves both professionally and personally through a variety of innovative and collaborative development opportunities. You’re likely beginning to see why we’ve been regularly named by Austin Business Journal as a Top Ten Best Places to Work since 2009! But there’s more…
TASB offers competitive pay, rich benefits (including retirement matching of 2:1 up to 5% after one year. This means that if you contribute 5% to the plan, TASB will contribute 10%), onsite daycare, gym, fitness classes, dry-cleaning services, tuition reimbursement, remote work options, flexible schedules, and more.
Every role at TASB thoughtfully complements our mission and the educational impact being made in communities across Texas. If you consider your work exceptional and want to help drive our mission forward, keep reading!
As the Senior Human Resources Business Partner (Sr. HRBP) you will help foster a consultative relationship in developing proactive people strategies that support the mission and strategic direction of the organization. We require HR expertise that supports our business strategy and organizational needs. The ideal candidate is interested in making a significant impact in critical business areas and excels in a fast paced, ever changing environment. We will need someone that will take this leadership role and create a respectful and inclusive work environment while role-modeling TASB’s values and fostering cultural diversity.
A Typical Day
- Develops contemporary HR solutions and workforce planning aligned with business strategy and objectives.
- Serves as trusted advisor and has professional credibility with internal customers to deliver and coordinate full spectrum of HR services.
- Develops and implements with other team members complex initiatives where the impact is significant in supporting the customer’s needs. Initiatives include employee retention, talent assessment, compensation planning (equity, bonus, merit), and leadership development.
- Serves as team lead on implementation of the HR operating model, including creating and managing project plans and timelines to build process efficiencies while leveraging technology and effective communications strategies.
- Creates dashboards, analyzes, and monitors data and trends to measure and report the effectiveness of HR programs in a way that brings value to the business.
- Point of contact for employee relations issues. Collaborates with HR, business leaders, and employees to provide guidance. Guidance includes, but is not limited to, conflict resolution, performance coaching/counseling, disciplinary action, and policy interpretation or application.
- Manages administration of HR Policies ensuring compliance with state and federal laws and works on developing and executing strategic initiatives to avoid litigation.
- Assist with benefits and leave management processes, FMLA, STD, LTD.
- Coordinates response to annual HR Audits and drive action plans to ensure ongoing compliance with internal controls and legislative requirements.
- Manages unemployment and workers’ compensation claims and compliance.
- If you’re still reading this, we’d like to meet you!
How You’ll Make an Impact
- Act as a change-agent as the team reshapes itself with a goal of providing an exceptional member and employee experience.
- Partners with internal and external counsel to facilitate a response to legal proceedings related to employment issues.
- Works with acquisition team to lead HR-related tasks, activities related to onboarding and evolving recruitment strategies.
- Represents HR on projects/committees that may be part of individual agency initiatives.
Skills For Success
- Bachelor's Degree
- PHR or SPHR certification is preferred
- 3-5 years HR experience as HR Business Partner
- Experience implementing and/or leveraging organizational development models
- Knowledge of applicable federal, state, and local laws
- Working knowledge of HRIS and payroll systems. ADP preferred.
- Intermediate to advanced Microsoft Excel skills (e.g., pivot tables, v-lookup, etc.)
- Knowledge Word, Power Point, and general Microsoft Office applications
- Experience in designing, developing, and iteratively improving reporting dashboards to illustrate progress against organizational goals.
- Strong customer service skills and abilities.
- Strong consultative skills.
- Ability to be approachable and facilitate coaching conversations with employees and managers.
- Ability to work independently while demonstrating a high degree of trustworthiness and discretion given the highly confidential nature of employee relations.
- Ability to communicate professionally and effectively with all levels of the organization.
- Demonstrates a sense of urgency and timeliness.
- Project management skills: ability to juggle and prioritize multiple responsibilities.
The TASB Difference
- Enjoy competitive pay and rich benefit offerings.
- Be part of a collaborative environment where every contribution impacts Texas public schoolchildren.
- Thrive in a culture that promotes bringing your whole self to work every day and emphasizes healthy boundaries and work-life balance.
- Learn and grow individually and together through frequent professional development; diversity, equity, and inclusion panels; wellness seminars; and more.
- Work alongside transparent leaders with an open and consistent feedback approach.
- Celebrate as a team with meaningful (and fun) events and tokens of appreciation throughout the year.
- This position operates in a professional office environment and routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, and copiers.
- The health and safety of our employees and members, is our top priority. We have implemented safety measures to prevent the spread of COVID-19 in our facilities including incentivizing vaccines, requiring masks in all common areas in the building, and optional risk-based testing strategies.
- TASB is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate on the basis of an individual's race, color, disability, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, age, marital status, veteran status, or any other personal characteristic protected by law.
- This position does not qualify for visa sponsorship.
- Any job offer is contingent upon receipt of results of a satisfactory background check.
Your application has been successfully submitted.