Manager, Employee Engagement
This job is no longer accepting applications.
About the job
The Manager, Employee Engagement will focus on growing and cultivating our robust internal digital community by leveraging and analyzing data, staff feedback, and insights to elevate our current communication tools and channels. Working closely with the Sr. Director, Internal Communications, this individual will develop and execute initiatives that enhance staff understanding of our organization’s mission and long-term goals, allowing them to contribute in the most meaningful and effective ways by fostering employee engagement and supporting staff retention. As a member of the Communications team, this individual will support our team’s efforts develop effective communications that drive public awareness and support of the ASPCA’s priorities and values, strengthen our brand, and advance our work. This includes collaboration with program and operational teams to ensure our employees are informed, engaged ambassadors of the ASPCA and our life-saving programs.
The ideal candidate will be a communications expert with significant experience managing digital communities, planning events, and supporting multi-channel communications strategies. They will join a small, high-performing team and seek to make an impact by reimagining what is possible and taking a solutions-oriented approach to challenges and obstacles. We’re looking for someone who is creative, compassionate, and can work collaboratively across many teams within a fast-paced mission-focused organization.
The ASPCA strives to maintain a COVID-free workplace. To that end, being fully vaccinated is a condition of employment for all ASPCA employees, including new hires. The ASPCA makes reasonable accommodations for qualified applicants with disabilities or sincerely held religious beliefs that prohibit a person from being vaccinated.
Digital Community Management (60%)
- Spearhead the continued growth and engagement of the ASPCA digital internal community and the optimization of the Workplace from Meta platform
- Leverage data analysis and regular reporting to identify strengths and opportunities for employee engagement
- Conceptualize and implement internal campaigns and gather feedback and data to assess effectiveness of staff communications
- Develop and maintain the Knowledge Library resource that equips staff with critical information through an intuitive user interface, effective information architecture, and appealing design
- Develop video strategies for Workplace (with a focus on livestreams and pre-recorded sessions) to provide a forum for staff dialogue and two-way engagement among staff, subject matter experts, and organizational leaders
- Explore new Workplace features and stay current with industry trends and best practices to guide the evolution of our digital strategy and engagement
- Collaborate with staff and executive stakeholders to ensure access, provide training, and encourage participation in our ASPCA-hosted events and digital community
- Provide consistent maintenance, development, and oversight of our internal digital community (including but not limited to managing governance, cultivating content contributors, sourcing content and story-mining) to increase active users and contributors
- Coordinate and create visual designs (banners, web and email graphics, flyers) to ensure an optimal user experience
- Monitor user-generated content for appropriateness and develop and update User Policies in collaboration with our Information Technology, People, and Legal teams
- Explore and test new technology, strategies, and tools for internal communications providing the team with thought leadership and innovation related to internal community management
Employee Events & Engagement (30%)
- Develop and execute action-oriented plans for onsite and virtual employee events and activities
- Plan and host a variety of staff learning sessions such as Staff Safety Briefings, Legislative Information Sessions, Lunch & Learn events, and other special event projects as needed
- Provide project management support to ensure logistics for bi-annual Town Hall meetings are properly executed
- Investigate new virtual events platforms and features to increase accessibility and reach of our events for frontline and direct care staff
- Cultivate staff event planning groups such as Location Leads (for onsite events) and the Virtual Events Brain Trust (for virtual events)
- Provide internal communications consultation and support for annual programmatic campaigns & promotions
- Support the implementation of comprehensive communications campaigns and collaborative projects aligned with our mission, strategic objectives, and Core Values
- Collaborate with members of the Communications team to support social media projects and campaigns, ensuring consistent messaging across internal and external social platforms and encouraging staff to promote our external campaigns and calls to action among their personal and professional networks
- Collaborate with the People Team to support employee recruitment efforts, specifically the cultivation of an online Talent Network of individuals interested in career opportunities with the ASPCA
- Draft, format, and edit content as directed including, but not limited to, all-staff emails, newsletters, success stories, memos, and our weekly digital all staff newsletter
- Assist with onsite employee-related events and activities taking place throughout the year in NYC and at other ASPCA locations across the country when it is safe to do so
- Stay informed of organizational operations and mission (e.g., by reading and staying on top of animal welfare news, internal news, and participating in organization events, and conducting own research)
- Proactively build internal communications skills and expertise by learning and embracing new technology, staying abreast of internal communications developments and best practices, and attending training or development as available and approved
- Participate and contribute updates during Internal Communications team meetings, Communications departmental meetings, and work cross-functionally with other members of the team
- Brainstorm and assist with the development of new internal communications materials, channels, events and other items as directed
- Engage in consistent and regular reporting to supervisor, including giving and receiving effective feedback
- Research and participate in both hands-on field and office classroom learning and share professional development/learning opportunities with the rest of the team, as appropriate
- Compose, proofread, and distribute memos, meeting agendas/minutes, reports and other documents as required
- Other projects to be assigned as necessary
Exemplifies the ASPCA’s Core Values:
- Has Commitment and dedication to improving the lives of animals
- Demonstrates Ownership and feels responsible for outcomes
- Believes in Team – that we are stronger together
- Seeks to Elevate others and reimagine what is possible
- Focuses on Impact, specifically making change for animals
- The role will be based out of New York City and this individual must be based within commuting distance of New York City when our office re-opens.
- Must be able to travel to ASPCA locations within and outside New York City as necessary when it is safe to do so. Typical travel no more than 15%.
- Must be available as emergency contact after business hours, on holidays and weekends, as required
Ability to maintain good working relationship with employees, department staff and the public, Ability to perform job in professional manner and maintain confidentiality, Ability to understand the ASPCA’s mission, strategy, programs, policies, and values, Ability to work independently and as part of team., Ability to work rapidly and meet deadlines under pressure, Comfort level interfacing, collaborating with and receiving feedback from senior leaders and executive stakeholders throughout the organization, Demonstrated data analysis and critical thinking skills, Excellent verbal and interpersonal communication skills, Exceptional copy writing and editing skills, including knowledge of standard proofreaders’ marks and AP Style and strong attention to detail, Must be a self-starter who is able to identify projects and opportunities to contribute to the team and the ASPCA’s impact, Must be well-organized with the ability to manage time well and prioritize multiple projects, tasks and deadlines, Must demonstrate ownership and the ability to manage projects through to completion
Education and Work Experience:
Bachelors, High School Diploma (Required)
3-5 years of related experience in communications: public relations, media, corporate/internal communications, social media, or related roles, BA, BS or equivalent in English, Communications, or a related field or equivalent experience, Experience completing simple digital asset design projects using web-based design tools (such as Canva) a plus, Knowledge of and experience with social media required, experience using Facebook or Workplace from Meta a plus, Significant experience with web technology, including email design and social community platform management
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, citizenship, disability or protected veteran status.
Your application has been successfully submitted.