Human Resources Manager (Topeka)
This job is no longer accepting applications.
About the job
Location: Fort Worth, TX, US, 76131
Apply early as this job may be removed or filled prior to the closing date, which is approximately seven (7) days after the posting date.
Job Location: Fort Worth
Other Potential Locations: Fort Worth, TX
Anticipated Start Date: 02/01/2022
Number of Positions: 1
Salary Range: $65,000 - $86,000
COVID-19 Federal Vaccine Mandate
The COVID-19 pandemic continues to affect all aspects of our lives. From the onset, BNSF's goals have remained the same: keep our people safe and maintain our essential operations. While we maintained that the decision to be vaccinated for COVID-19 is a personal one, we also encouraged employees to consider the options and make the best decision for themselves and their families.
Under President Biden’s COVID-19 Action Plan, BNSF is covered by the federal mandate requiring vaccination. Effective December 8, 2021, BNSF has paused its implementation of the COVID-19 vaccine mandate given the dynamic legal proceedings. The ultimate outcome of the federal contractor vaccine mandate is yet to be determined. It is still possible that the mandate, as it applies to BNSF, could be upheld in court in the near future. If this happens, BNSF employees would be required to be vaccinated.
Who we are and what we do
Do you want to be a part of something that really matters? Team BNSF includes professionals focused on safety and service that play a vital role in delivering the nation's freight. Together, we help move goods and materials that sustain life and support local, national and global economies. Our rail network is one of the largest freight railroads, spanning 28 western states and serving three Canadian provinces.
What we believe
At BNSF, our Vision and Values drive who we are, not only in our words, but also our actions. BNSF is committed to our foundational values of equality and inclusion. As members of the BNSF community, our employees are entitled to:
- be treated with dignity and respect.
- have equal access to tools, resources, training and development opportunities.
- have equal opportunity to achieve their full potential.
We model the way through our leadership, our BNSF Diversity Councils, our eclectic Business Resource Groups, our deep involvement and investment in the communities we serve and through training programs. Our actions create an inclusive, open and collaborative workplace that encourages diverse perspectives in all interactions.
This position is located at our Fort Worth, TX corporate office and has the potential to be a hybrid position with up to 50% remote work.
This position will have multi-departmental HR responsibilities supporting employees in Resource Protection, Labor Relations, Environmental, Safety, Service Design, Locomotive & Workforce Utilization, and the Network Operations Center (NOC).
Responsibilities include recruiting, interviewing, and selection of both scheduled and exempt candidates for hire and promotion in the various operations departments, employee relations, talent management, diversity & inclusion initiatives, and various other HR processes. Experience multi-tasking in a high-volume environment with ability to adapt to rapidly changing priorities. Ability to respond to tight timelines with limited resources.
- Strong written communication skills. Solid presentation and public speaking skills.
- Excels at building effective relationships across a diverse population and at all levels of the organization, functioning as an employee advocate and management agent
- Assists leaders in providing feedback to employees to correct performance issues and to identify and recognize outstanding performance; assists leaders with managing exempt employees with performance problems including development of performance improvement plans and meeting with employees along with their supervisors
- Investigates and resolves hotline calls, internal complaints, and EEOC/State agency charges in a thorough manner.
- Responds to questions from employees regarding payroll, benefits and other HR related functions.
- Prepares materials and presents training to diverse employee groups on various human resources and benefits topics
- Proactively anticipates employee concerns and works with department leaders on resolution and handling.
- Provides career mentoring and counseling for employees in conjunction with leadership
- Facilitates and executes on various projects to improve processes and meet departmental needs.
- Position may involve some travel on the BNSF system, mainly to Regional Dispatch Centers or to the Technical Training Center in Overland Park, KS.
The duties and responsibilities in this posting are representative categories to be used in deciding whether to apply for the position. These general categories do not necessarily constitute an exhaustive list of duties of the position.
- Bachelor’s Degree and at least 2 years of professional work experience in Human Resources field.
- Individual must have strong demonstrated interpersonal and communications skills (verbal and written).
- Individual must be self-directed and motivated.
- Proficient computer skills in Microsoft Office - Outlook, Word, Excel and PPT.
- Prior experience in recruitment and hiring selection.
- Comprehensive knowledge of all federal and applicable state employment laws.
- Must possess a high degree of integrity in handling confidential information and have the ability to efficiently manage multiple tasks concurrently
- 3-5 years’ experience in a Human Resources function
- Experience handling employee relations activities
BNSF offers competitive benefit programs and services including, but not limited to
- Medical, Dental and Vision Coverage
- 401(k) Plan
- Railroad Retirement
- Life Insurance
- Incentive Compensation Plan (ICP)
- Tuition Reimbursement Program
BACKGROUND INVESTIGATION ELEMENTS
- Criminal history
- Last 7 years of driving history
- Last 5 years of employment history to include military service
- Social Security number
MEDICAL REVIEW ELEMENTS:
- Medical evaluation
- Drug Screen
- Other elements as needed
DRUG TEST ELEMENTS:
BNSF is committed to a safe and drug free work place and performs pre-employment substance abuse testing. All new hires are required to undergo a hair drug test which detects the presence of illegal drugs for months prior to testing. We appreciate your cooperation in keeping BNSF safe and drug free.
Transportation Worker Identification Credential (TWIC): Federal authority requires BNSF employees, whose work requires unescorted access to secure areas of port facilities, to obtain a TWIC. A TWIC is a condition of employment for such positions and requires candidates to those positions to submit to a TSA security assessment (to include, but not limited to, providing: biographic information; identity documents; fingerprints; digital photograph). More information is available at https://www.tsa.gov/for-industry/twic.
BNSF Railway is an Equal Opportunity Employer, all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or protected veteran status.
Your application has been successfully submitted.