Head of People
This job is no longer accepting applications.
Who We Are
Decent is on a mission to deliver affordable health insurance for all. We help small businesses (2-100 employees) band together in a large group PEO and do their payroll, so we can save them 35% on their health insurance. We're servicing a huge market need for affordable and delightful health insurance (79 NPS vs. industry average of 19), and all of our plans include unlimited primary care via the direct primary care (DPC) model. We sell both direct and through brokers and have partnered with national broker distributors like BenefitMall and OneDigital (25K brokers) to offer the world's first integrated health plan + PEO. We set ambitious goals around team NPS and believe building and maintaining a strong positive culture is the key force multiplier in everything we do.
The People function at Decent imagines, designs, and manages the experience of our team members, from interview to exit. In the near term, that looks like: systematizing listening, empathy, and thoughtfulness across Decent; building the right support systems to help us bring energy and thoughtfulness to our work; helping us define our values and push towards equity at all levels; making sure we have clear expectations about both how we are performing today and what it would take for each of us to level up; and working with external recruiters to find top talent to join our team. In the medium term, it looks like building and managing a top-tier, multifunctional People team, and embracing innovative ideas, practices, and compensation structures to help Decent stay one of the best places to work forever. You will report directly to the CEO and act as an empowered thought partner to build and maintain a culture that helps our team stay happy and engaged as we work hard to change healthcare for the better.
Who You Are
Decent is seeking an experienced people leader to manage and lead our People team. As our Head of People and part of our leadership team, you will develop, own, and execute Decent’s people strategy and roadmap, you will hire, manage, and grow our people team and you will make sure we have the right people in the right roles with the right expectations and the right culture to delight those who are underserved by today’s broken healthcare system.
HR is a key part of this job, but we are not just looking for a traditional HR manager to come in and enforce policy. This job is about people, not paper. It will be a fulfilling job for the right person, but not an easy one.
The Head of People role is inherently cross-functional. This position requires you to work closely with design, marketing, sales, engineering, and other teams to effectively incorporate their feedback and expeditiously meet their needs as you execute on your vision.
You have the ability to efficiently move from clearly articulating high-level vision and roadmap, to identifying team needs and culture and process gaps, to sourcing and closing great candidates, to drafting succinct and specific process and practice details as needed to deliver on your vision. You will have autonomy to define what needs to be done, the full support of an incredible team to help you deliver, and complete ownership around bringing your vision to our team.
What You’ll Be Doing
- Helping us define Decent’s values and how we reflect them in our behaviors day to day, towards each other and towards customers and other stakeholders, and holding us accountable to those values
- Partnering directly with company founders to rapidly drive our culture and business forward, identify new opportunities for Decent, and affect long-term organizational change
- Playing a key leadership role in setting annual and quarterly company goals focused on both the what and the how
- Steering us calmly and expertly through the inevitable disagreements, process gaps, mistakes, and frustrations that bubble up as we all work together to transform healthcare for the better (this is hard!)
- Managing and leading Decent’s people team as it grows
- Identifying talent gaps on our team as we grow, and working closely with external recruiters to recruit, hire, and retain the best people until we eventually bring recruiting in-house.
- Assessing, strengthening, and simplifying our existing policies and processes around hiring, compensation, benefits, training and development, onboarding, performance management and exits.
- Promoting and nurturing a DEI culture within our organization
- Making sure we all have clear expectations around performance tied to company goals so people know how they’re doing and what it would mean and what it would take to level up.
What We’re Looking For
- 8+ years of people and HR experience that includes at least 4+ years of demonstrable hands-on experience as a people leader with active team engagement
- Experience partnering at the C-level, and working with senior leadership to empower, influence, and drive change
- Entrepreneurial spirit, drive, and creativity, including willingness to roll up your sleeves and be a hands-on help to your team
- Vision and values alignment with company culture
- You are someone colleagues deeply enjoy, admire and respect - in part because you are not a pushover.
- Proven track record of hiring top tier team members and keeping them motivated and happy
- Demonstrated experience managing hiring and retention for cross-functional teams
- Strong analytical skills and an aptitude for data-driven decision-making
- Passionate about our mission and obsessed with delivering the best customer and team experience
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills, prioritization and organizational skills
- Deep understanding of and empathy for people
What Will Make You Stand Out
- Balance of the empathy, smarts, and strategic thinking to be our long term people leader with the experience, HR knowledge and attitude to be hands-on shaping policy and culture on day 1
- Strategic, holistic and non-transactional view of people and relationships
- No emphasis on hierarchy. Every employee has equal importance at this company
- Demonstrated experience building teams in the healthcare, insuretech or fintech space
- Prior entrepreneurial experience, or working in a small startup environment or in a people role for early-stage high-growth companies
- Excellent people-management skills, coupled with strong individual contributor capabilities.
We are seeking someone near one of our three offices. We have offices in Austin (headquarters), Seattle, and San Francisco.
Your application has been successfully submitted.