Head of People Operations
This job is no longer accepting applications.
About the job
Honeycomb is built to help engineering teams deeply explore and understand their own production systems — in real time. It's a service for the near and present future, where distributed systems are the new default, every service is a platform, and empowered generalist software engineers are the new ops. We are passionate about consumer-quality developer tools and excited to build technology that raises our industry's expectations of what our tools can do for us.
We’re a highly diverse and remote-first company of nearly 100 people that’s growing quickly. We’re warm and irreverent, though we’re very serious about building a great product that reduces toil for all engineering teams. We treat one another like adults, and we liberally deploy custom comedy emojis. We believe that we’re on a path to building an enduring company and that we need to execute with precision to get there, but we know that ultimately everything is an experiment: form a hypothesis, test it, learn, and move forward.
We’re looking for a Head of People Operations to guide our rapid growth in a thoughtful way. You’ll help us figure out what about our culture and processes needs to hold true as we grow and scale, and what needs to change and evolve. The ideal candidate is an experienced HR or People Ops leader who can set strategy and is willing to roll up their sleeves like the rest of the leaders do in our small company. You’ll be responsible for the entire employee lifecycle, from talent acquisition through to HR operations. This role reports to the COO and will manage a two-person team on day one.
Key Responsibilities Include
- Owning and improving upon our people management systems (including onboarding, reviews, feedback, and promotions) that help retain a world-class team.
- Making sure our people are supported by amazing leaders. You will be partnering with managers and other leaders across Honeycomb, and directly or indirectly mentoring them on expectations, best practices, and how to get the best outcomes from their teams.
- Overseeing the company’s recruiting function. You’re accountable for making sure we bring in great people when we need them. Most of our recruiting is in-house, and by application and employee referral. You’ll spin up other channels if and when we need them.
- Evolving a strategy for compensation and benefits that aligns employee and company incentives, retains talent, and uses the resources of the company responsibly, in all the places where we operate.
- Ensuring that Honeycomb is increasingly diverse and inclusive, across all levels and teams in the company.
- Ensuring performance management issues are handled respectfully, courageously, in accordance with all relevant laws and regulations, and in a manner that protects Honeycomb.
- Working in partnership with finance and legal on expansion outside of the United States.
- Owning and evolving our HRIS stack.
- Managing immigration, in partnership with immigration counsel.
- Leading and growing the People Ops and Recruiting teams.
This role would be a good fit for someone who:
- Has relevant previous experience, as this is a senior role. The ideal candidate may have experience both as the HR or People Ops leader at a fast-growing technology startup AND has been a part of People Ops teams operating at scale.
- Experience working and leading in a remote first environment. Proven experience in creating strategies on how best to incorporate a remote-first mindset across an org and to future team members. You can reside anywhere in the US or Canada.
- Thinks big and small; can assemble a strategy for people at Honeycomb and identify tactics to get there iteratively.
- Works fast and slow. There are a lot of transactions and quick decisions to take care of, but you need to take care that the sum of those activities add up to a diverse company, a great culture, etc.
- Has excellent communication skills: sync and async, with employees, with anyone and everyone.
- Will build relationships all across the organization, and be seen as a trusted resource for our people.
- Defaults to transparency and working in the open. We share board decks, financial results, job levels, etc. internally because we trust our people and believe sharing information will help them do their jobs better.
- Can quickly become a champion of our values.
- Has experience scaling an org both in size and in implementing practices such as management training, 401k matching, creating global entities, establishing sponsorship practices, etc.
Salary & Benefits
- Base compensation for this position, based on level of experience, is $185,000- 215,000
- Additional compensation to include generous employee equity
- A remote-first workplace
- Great Health, Dental, Vision, Life and Disability insurance coverage
- Unlimited PTO that we actually encourage you to take + 14 US company holidays in 2022
- Work Life Balance and Flexible Schedule
- Generous Home Office Equipment Reimbursement
- $200 Monthly Cell Phone/Internet/Co-working Space Allowance
- $1500 Annual Professional Development Allowance
Let’s do this
We're building a diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other. We hire adults. We value transparency, autonomy, experimentation, and kind, direct feedback. We welcome nontraditional candidates, and people of all backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. We're an equal opportunity employer and our hiring process is designed to put you at ease and help you show your best work; if we are doing a poor job of this at any time, please let us know. Come build great things with us.
Your application has been successfully submitted.